Tuesday, January 03, 2006

'Intelligent Design'

After reading this blurb: Board Rescinds 'Intelligent Design' Policy - Yahoo! News. I got to thinking.

So what if Darwinism is flawed. All of history is flawed. There's no getting around it. We weren't there, and must rely on what someone else said. Oh, and they're probably white and have a superiority alpha male complex.

And yes I did just write that. Most of the history I have been taught has been by white males with alpha male complexes, and they were the football or basketball coaches for my schools. And they sure as hell didn't like to be questioned Soo ;P

Anyway, what I wanted to get at here, was the fact that we don't seem to teach kids to be problem solvers, nor do we encourage interpretation of data outside of whether or not it helps us consume. If we taught kids critical thinking skills, maybe they can discover on their own that all systems are inherently false. Or at least form solid opinions as to how the world works and doesn't work.

Better yet! What if we don't teach them anything, let them figure it all out on their own. Return our kids to the wild, so to speak. There are of course survival skills that we could teach. But not all of this "knowledge" crap that defines reality. If we keep filling their heads up with what we think the universe is, they'll keep dragging this reality along. Let them come up with their own I say! Encourage them to talk to that imaginary friend, or 3, or 10. What creativity was chopped off when an adult told me to stop talking to that non existent hatter I was having tea with?!? Why can't animals talk?!?!

I think that we could also teach 'Intelligent Design'. Personal Design. We make our own maps, can't we tap into that at the youngest ages when imprinting happens most frequently? If I can believe the pooka I'm having tea with is real (he was you know) and carry that into adult hood, will we be able to touch myth that has become real?

How much of our reality is shaped by someone else's fact? How many pookas are waiting to be realized?