Tuesday, January 09, 2007

monkey NEED banana...

...or why yesterday went all wrong and how I learned to wait.


Pineapple, and melon. The little meaty chunks of overly ripe fruit stuck in my teeth. That was my breakfast. Oh and miniature grapes too. Soggy, flavorless red buttons. It was supposed to be a banana. That was what I needed, a bit of mushy yellow, vitamin rich sweetness for sustenance. Just one. The disappointment of seeing the bright green gift of nature sitting in the brown basket, made me cringe. They seemed to taunt me, daring me to eat them. I could taste the lack of yellow mushiness, the raw, firm texture of the underdeveloped banana. I glared back at them. One wholesome piece of fruit. One piece of fruit that doesn’t change texture on you or get stuck in your teeth. Was that to much to ask for? The yellow comfort eluded me this morning however, and I settled for a latte to get me along to the next fruit seller. And he sold me little meaty chunks of overly ripe fruit that got stuck in my teeth.