Monday, July 31, 2006

How the Grrr began

The electronic ring jolted me from dreams at 8:30 this morning, just 5 hours after I had nestled in and drifted off in the arms of Jake. I let the answering machine retrieve the call while I tried to recall the actors that had been playing in my head and stretched out alongside my lover. The burn of urination forced me from my comfort and I stumbled down the twisting stairs to relieve myself. Having done so, I checked the message incase there was any devience from the noon appointment. It was of no importance, some bastard calling for someone with the same first name as my father. I made the mental note to contact my dad later today and crawled back upstairs to float away into the dreamscape that entertained me.

An hour later the phone rang again and I tuned my ear to the female voice on the machine, it was my 12 o'clock lunch date. I rolled over, knowing that I could retrieve the message when the alarm would pull me from slumper at 11AM. But the noise of the outside world had invaded the dreamland once to many times. The tuning of my awareness to the machine had awoken my senses that had remained content and relaxed the first time I wandered downstairs. There was no point in tossing and turning on the old mattress disrupting the sleeping prince next to me.

Transitions of this sort usually throw me off for a bit. Showering only awakens the body. I needed coffee and planned to stop at my favorite shop on my way to meet my girlfriend. The message she had left was of no consequence, so I text messaged her confirming her choice for lunching and time of rendevous. I then checked the blogs of friends and noted that not much had changed since I had last checked them. Suddenly my brain seemed to have jump started and thoughts regarding blogging, the recent conflicts in the Mideast, sex and other things regarding dreams and myth invaded my head. I looked at the clock, I had no time for such ponderings.

And thus the 11:23 Grr post.

No worries. I told my head, there are several hours tonight in which to compose the thoughts. I even joted down a few while waiting at the cafe for my friend. But when I arrived home tonight; chainsaws were ripping down a tree and a new born screamed next door. So I did the dishes and ground coffee for tonight's festivities. I even prepared a spot on the back porch by building a make shift table out of milk crates and and a small pallet. My chores done, I grabbed a cigarette and stood on the back porch, trying not to curse the neighbors carousing and making a general BBQ ruckus.

The thoughts and opinions stirring in me today are still floating around as I wait for the distractions to dwindle to near in-audible tones. But the neighbors will go until dark or later, I still have an hour or two until I can tune out enough sound to not be feeling like the universe is trying to keep me from thinking through thoughts well enough to blog them.

The fire comes when you least expect it, after a lull in which you have craved it, and felt the embers growing warmer by the day. You start to build your fire, stick by coal, and then one day you blow to much on the red hot bricks and it flares up, only to be snuffed out by the clouds of activity flitting about you. Some call it Murphy's law. I tend to wonder if the universe is telling me to bark up a different tree.

After thought: The spell checker isn't working...