Monday, August 14, 2006

Tonight's outing to the concert in the park infused me with some live klezmer music and allowed me much quality time with the inlaws and the French chaperone. A grand evening of mellow tempratures that left me with sore hands (lots of rhythmic clapping) and a sense that people can be down right rude and inappreciative of musicians.

The evenings festivities began with a speech from the MC asking that parents take this opportunity to teach their kids about proper ettiqute while in attendance of the concert. That behavior should be in check and the kids not running around, etc.

Few parents paid any heed and allowed the kids to run amok. On top of that, they conversed amongest themselves, ignoring the band. The whole scene was a bit sad. Also, the band had asked that the audience participate (as the music encourages you to do) by clapping along with the beat. I joyfully participated in this endeavor along with our French gal who is also out visiting with the inlaws. We clapped along the whole time, supporting the artists in their performance. At times we were the only two clapping out the tempo.

What is it about an outdoor concert that allows people to think that they don't need to be a respectful audience? There were even times that my father inlaw turned to me to share his wise comment about child rearing or astute observation of how a little girl out dancing was going to grow up to be a stripper. I did not have the drive to even argue with that comment. I was there to enjoy the music and maybe even learn something about the Jewish folk music. There was some song about Jesus and feet that I didn't catch the story behind because A) my inlaw was making mundane observations and B) people were talking while Sammy Epstein was trying to tell us what the hell it was all about.

And even though they didn't play my favorite piece, there was one highlight of the evening. It was a tall Jew Boy dancing along with the final piece. He new his moves and even a few flips. Whoever said Jews don't have rhythm was a lying sack of dung.