Monday, August 07, 2006

Pale Wanderings

The sunset is a dusty pale yellow again tonight. It triggers thoughts of pollution and how Mt. Hood has been under a haze all summer. It saddens me that in the three years that I’ve been here, to see the smog proliferating over this emerald city.

2 summers ago, I sat out on the deck of a pavilion over looking the city. The sun setting behind my girlfriend and me as we partook in a most sacred endeavor. Our conversations meandered from topic to topic and we marveled at the pristine view of the mountains lolling to the east. Mt. Hood towered over the greenery, a crystalline gray studded with patches of pinkish snow. I held up my hand and my perspective changed, what was 2 miles high, could fit into the palm of my hand. This observation later triggered a conversation with the Swede Transvestite about proportions, if I recall correctly.

I felt I could see for 100’s of miles, at least. Beyond the mountain my eyes followed the ribbon of road seemingly never ending its trek over the patchwork green quilt. (Mt hood is 47 miles from Portland) The thought of looking back over the many miles I had traveled overwhelmed me at first. It occurred to me that this was the farthest from home I had ever been. The thought was both liberating and daunting. In my minds eye I waved to my mom and my brother, wishing they could see what I saw that evening.

But now when I look out from that same spot, the hills aren’t as green and the mountain hides behind a cloud of stagnant yellow mist. Crossing the river on my way home has in past been an awe inspiring moment as I look ahead of me and say hello to the cold giant sitting in the South East. But, over the last few months he has been fading and looking a bit ill.

It’s quite sad.

I’m hoping that this is just a faze of weather, and that perhaps in the fall the air will clear up and our giant will throw off his dusty cloak to bare all for us above the fiery leaves of autumn before he slumbers in November’s soggy blanket.

If this is pollution invading our view, we are in for a heap of trouble. With my imagination I see the mountain becoming redder, almost angry looking in the setting sun and the trees blackening under the heavy smog. Our rivers turning into belching cesspools…wait a sec, they already are. In the city councils infinite wisdom, they have not regulated the amount of pollution going into our rivers. It wasn’t until the Feds slapped a huge fine on the city that they did anything about it. And now we the taxpayers are paying out the ass for it.

If you ever find yourself in Portland, take a look at the river and watch the rainbow glaze slide over the brown waters. And visitors wonder why I insist on drinking water from the filtered pitcher in the fridge.

Rumor has it that many Portlanders want a larger city. I think they’re a bit nuts. Until we have a smarter consumer culture, the surrounding eco-system will not support more people. It's funny really, Portland has been known for it's "green" leaning population. Yet it's being over run with SUV's and litterbugs. According to Portland State , Oregon has seen growth of over 4% since the 2000 Census. If I’m doing my math right, that’s over 50,000 in the metro area alone. No wonder my 3 mile commute to work takes me twice as long as it did two years ago.

As beautiful as this city is, I’m afraid I don’t want to stick around for the nightmare about to come. Already they have destroyed another view of the river (haha at those people who bought land right above it for the view) to build 3 towers. I’m gonna jump ship. Head to the Shore, buy me Def Leopard T-shirt, a surf board and Step Into Some Liquid.