Friday, August 04, 2006

The Homeland

Ugly Fish Hat has put some of my thoughts about Minnesota into perspective for me. For the most part, she's hit the nail on the head for me. She got right in there and pointed out the void with that little nail. And for that I thank her.

And I miss old Dutch Potato chips too. And Gedney (it's the Minnesota Pickle) Baby Dills. So tangy, so crisp! And Magus Books (Now that has some serious L-space going on, it will get better as he gets more stuff.) and the state fair and probably several other things...

But it doesn't feel like home anymore. Read Bree's post and you'll maybe catch that glimpse of knowing that I felt when I went back last fall. Sometimes there's a pull, a pining for Thunderstorms, REAL blizzards and fireflies. But there's the knowing that it's not what our memories make it out to be. It can't be. It never will be, again.

I still want my fireflies though.

*pout*